Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saying thanks to Jesus

Everyone day dreams about winning an award or great honor.   The Nobel Prize, an Oscar, the Heisman or a Tony for "Martin Luther: A Life Through Mime".  And with that prize comes the acceptance speech or press conference.  Because of Tim Tebow, Jeremy Lin and now Bubba Watson, it's become Christian chic to thank Jesus for the victory. 

I was wondering: What  would Jesus want that moment to look like?  Would he want to be thanked for a victory?  Is that where he dwells, among the victors?  I don't think so.  In fact, during his ministry on earth Jesus dwelled among the losers, the forgotten, the broken.  The so "out there", they didn't even get invited to the game.

It seems to me, that if you wanted to be truly humble, you'd thank Jesus for all the defeats, the shortcomings, and the failures in your life.  Because that's where most of us find Jesus: in our loss, not in our victory.  For me, I didn't find Jesus when I was winning, because I left no room for him there. It was only when I was emptied by loss that I was able to turn and look on the emptiness in my life. Then, He found me in my defeat.

Mary's journey to the tomb began in utter despair. It began with the greatest tragedy of her life.  Yet, it was through the revelation of God incarnate that her defeat became a backdrop for Jesus' victory.  That is the Easter experience.  God shatters our defeats with His victory.

Maybe the humblest thanks would be this: I give thanks to Jesus for all my defeats, through which He found me. Then I'd congradulate Him on His victory.

Now that I have the acceptance speech done, I have to get back to that play about Martin Luther through mime.  Or maybe a musical about Calvin...

No comments:

Post a Comment